12 ways to stop smoking this Stoptober
If you want to stop smoking, then the month of October is the perfect time. According to the NHS Stoptober website if you stop smoking for 28 days then you are 5 more times likely to quit for good. https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/stoptober/home#bF9EwifLRDGUE1CL.97
Unfortunately, most people find it hard to stop smoking on their own or by going ‘cold turkey’. Data from the government’s public health website found that only 20% of those who tried to stop smoking managed it. The main problem is that smoking is not just about addiction to nicotine and tobacco. It is an emotional issue based on the habit of smoking and whatever association we have with smoking. These include, relieving stress, relaxing, me time, thinking time, when things go wrong or when they go right, first thing in the morning, last thing at night, after eating, when socialising or drinking alcohol. The list goes on…..
So give yourself a huge advantage and stop smoking with hypnotherapy. Hypnotherapy helps you deal not just with the chemical withdrawal of stopping smoking but with the emotional and mental problems that arise when you quit smoking.* Here are some other ways you can maximise your chances of stopping smoking:
How to maximise your chances of stopping smoking.
Remind yourself of how bad cigarettes are for your health. Here is a list of some (there are a lot more) of the health problems that smoking can cause or make worse.
- Lung cancer
- Throat cancer
- Mouth cancer
- Stomach cancer
- Liver cancer
- Coronary Heart disease
- Erectile dysfunction
- High Blood pressure
- Peripheral Artery Disease
- Asthma sufferers more likely to have an attack
- Increased heart rate – cigarettes do NOT relax you
and many more…..
How to maximise your chances of stopping smoking.
- Remind yourself of how bad cigarettes are for your health. Here is a list of some (there are a lot more) of the health problems that smoking can cause or make worse.
- List all the advantages of stopping smoking and then the disadvantages. (smell, cost, health -see above list, social smoking with friends etc.)
- Work out exactly how much you spend a week, month and year on smoking and how much you have spent in your lifetime. Think what else you could do with that money.
To keep yourself motivated put all the money you save by not smoking in a clear jar and watch it add up.
- Make a plan to stop smoking. Think about all the triggers when you want to smoke and how you can prevent yourself from having a cigarette. If you smoke on the phone, then have a pen and paper by the phone and scribble or doodle. Do you smoke when stressed or happy or working? Think about how you could change your routine to stop the association.
- Pick a day to stop. Smoke all your cigarettes and if there are any left throw them away. Make a big deal of doing this it is the end of your life as a smoker. If you have finished them all throw away your lighter. Make sure you pick the right time. Not when you are under excessive stress but when things are good and you are feeling happy. That way you are more likely to keep it up.
- If you smoke in your car or a particular room in the house clean it up, give it a fresh coat of paint or treat your car to a valet. Make it a smoke free zone by putting ‘No Smoking’ signs around.
- Exercise and Diet. Get moving to improve your circulation and motivation for getting fit. Improve your diet.. If you are making an effort to get fit and healthy then there is no room for cigarettes in your life.
- Change your brand if you have one or start smoking roll ups instead of cigarettes. Change which had you smoke in. Only smoke when you aren’t doing anything else and concentrate on that cigarette.
- Use nicotine patches or other aids to help you quit. (Electronic cigarettes are not a good way to stop smoking as much of the problem is to do with habit and emotions. So you are just replacing one habit for another.)
- Combat peer pressure. If your partner/friends/work colleagues also smoke this makes it harder to stop. Get them to stop smoking too. (You can start by showing them this Blog Post.)
- If you fail to stop smoking this time. Don’t give up. It can take people a number of times to actually succeed. And if you have a relapse don’t let it stop you trying again. It is never too late to quit smoking.
- Get some support – Hypnotherapy can help you stop smoking. It did for me.
For more information on quitting smoking with Clevedon Hypnosis see my Stop Smoking page.
Phone me on 0770 235 2363 or 01275 873362 for an informal chat and for more information on how I can help you. I am based in the Clevedon area and also offer some home visits.
I will aim to get back to you within 24 hours on working days.
*Disclaimer. Results cannot be guaranteed as this is a therapy and each person is unique. All I can promise is that I will do my best to help you.
What can I help?
Hypnotherapy can help a range of issues including the ones listed below:
Fears and Phobias
Insomnia and Sleep Problems
Motivation and Goal Setting
Virtual Gastric Band
and many more……