— Break Bad Habits at Clevedon Hypnotherapy —
Helping you to become the person you deserve to be
Help changing your behaviour in Clevedon with Hypnosis
Many people have habits they really hate and wish they could stop doing. These include nail biting, hair fiddling, finger picking, eyelash pulling and excessive scratching. These vary in seriousness from mildly annoying to seriously affecting your life.
The good news is hypnotherapy can help you tackle your bad habits.* A habit is something you do automatically without thinking. Not all habits are bad of course, flossing your teeth or taking regular exercise are good habits to follow. The problem is when the habit is destructive or obsessive. Bad habits also include overeating, smoking and teeth grinding (Bruxism) and I have covered these subjects separately on other pages in this website.
Why do we carry on with bad habits?
Bad habits can be picked up from your family or others who are close to you. I pick at my fingers and so does my sister, mother, her mother, uncle and at least one cousin. Where our habits came from or why we do them is not really important. What matters is where, when and how often we do them. These are the things that we can alter. Compulsive habits such as nail biting and finger picking can occur when we are bored, stressed or in deep concentration and we are not really aware of doing them. Habits can cyclical – you do them because you are stressed or anxious, feel bad for doing them, then feel stressed again!
Some of the most common habits are:
Nail Biting and Finger Picking. Around a third of children and young people bite their nails or pick their fingers but most grow out of it by the time they become adults. These habits not only look awful but can also lead to infections if the fingers bleed. You are also more likely to pass on germs from your hands to your mouth by persistent contact.
Thumb Sucking Thumb sucking usually stops by adulthood but some people persist in this habit. It is very embarrassing as it is associated with babies and the sufferer usually only sucks their thumb in private or with the people closest to them. There are no serious medical issues with thumb sucking but it can cause dental problems and can pass germs.
Hair Fiddling and Pulling (Trichotillomania) Hair fiddling does not usually cause any physical problems but can look peculiar to other people. Hair pulling on the other hand, can cause hair loss and result in baldness. It is not just hair on the head that is pulled – eyelashes and brows, pubic hair and any other hairs are also pulled. Most people start pulling out their hair around 11-13. Often the sufferer is not aware they are doing it or may do it when stressed.
How to deal with bad habits
- First accept you need to accept you have a problem with your habit.
- Truly commit to change – no good if you feel you ought to rather than you really want to
- Become aware of your habit – make a note of when and where. Write down times and places and triggers
- Remove as many triggers as possible - Find the times and places you are likely to fall into the habit
- Enlist the help of a friend. Do you know anyone else who want to change any habits? If not is there anyone who could be your cheerleader?
- Tell everyone what you are doing and ask them to help – like not offering you a cigarette
- Find a substitute for your bad habit. If you cannot help eating biscuits make sure you don’t buy any.
- Have a reward system for your successes for various dates along the way – not eating if you are losing weight
- Visualise yourself as successful in beating your habit. If you are a nail biter see yourself with beautiful long manicured nails.
- Plan how you will deal with potential temptations – but also….
- Don’t beat yourself up if you slip-up – have a plan of what to do
How Hypnotherapy can help
It is very difficult to change a habit you have been doing for years by will power alone. Hypnotherapy is a very effective way to help you to try and break bad habits.* Your subconscious is in control of habit forming and retaining and hypnosis works on the subconscious which is the key to change. It does this by focusing the concentration and deep relaxation, then working with your subconscious to try to override your bad habit. One of the ways hypnotherapy can help you to with bad habits is by replacing bad habits with new good habits. It also teaches you relaxation methods you can use to deal with anxiety and stress which encourages the bad habit.
If you live in the Chesterfield area and feel you need help in changing a bad habit give me a call on 0770 353 2363 for a chat. It usually takes between 2 and 4 sessions to resolve a bad habit. I will get back to you as soon as possible within the next 24 hours.
*Disclaimer. Results cannot be guaranteed as this is a therapy and each person is unique. All I can promise is that I will do my best to help you.
What can I help?
Hypnotherapy can help a range of issues including the ones listed below:
Fears and Phobias
Insomnia and Sleep Problems
Motivation and Goal Setting
Virtual Gastric Band
and many more……